From Paradigms to Paragraphs: Use topics in philosophy to help you explain your teaching life.
What you’ll learn
- You will grow a new wrinkle in your melon! Seriously, you will not only be able to turn in or submit your philosophy statement, but you will also sound remarkably brilliant when you interview. You will be able to speak intelligently about (and write about) the different paradigms, theories, and branches of philosophy. AND you will easily connect these ideas to real teaching practice.
- If you can do computer basics and write a complete sentence, you are golden!
- You may need a bit of experience navigating paths between platforms, like from google to YouTube.
We will work through philosophy with an eye on writing our teaching philosophy statements. You will view the history of philosophical thought pertaining to education, from perennialism through connectivism. By the time we finish, you will be ready to write a comprehensive teaching philosophy, and you will be able to support your ideas with evidence from the past as well as specific examples of what your teaching philosophy looks like when it is operationalized in a real classroom. At the end of the course, you will be able to get video feedback from me, if you choose to do so!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wishes to dig deeper into how our beliefs impact our actions in this world, and especially in the classroom.
- This course will be especially helpful for students who are being asked to craft a statement of teaching philosophy.